EAP used for plain MAC authentication?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jan 5 14:16:20 CET 2015

On 05/01/15 12:24, Nick Lowe wrote:
> Do these switches or APs not use a Service-Type of Call-Check when
> performing MAC auth then? I would be barking at the vendor if that was
> missing.

No, they do not.

As for barking at the vendor, in my experience you might as well bark at
the moon for all the good it will do. I've wasted enough time with
vendors over the last 15 years - they speak money only, I've never once
succeeded in getting them to correct a design mis-step on technical grounds.

> While using an EAP type is rather pointless for MAC address
> authentication, there isn't an intrinsic problem doing so. I don't think
> it's idiotic.

It's been a while since I looked, but doesn't it incur another round-trip?