Chaining system authentication methods

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Jan 28 08:13:46 CET 2015

> On 28 Jan 2015, at 13:25, Sautron Nick <sautronnick at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to establish a chaining system authentication methods.
> In my case I would need to have the peap method first and then the TTLS method.

Your example doesn't show method chaining. It shows method negotiation
which is a fundamental part of the EAP protocol.

EAP method is possible, but not supported by FreeRADIUS or by many (any?)
supplicants.

> example:
> - An unauthenticated client
> - The server offers to the method peap
> - The method is not compatible according to the customer
> - The server offers to the TTLS method
> - Authenticated Client

Yes, thats how EAP negotiation works currently, but I believe the supplicant
sends back the method it wants to continue with after the initial offer by
the server.

The default method the server offers, is configurable in the EAP module.

FreeRADIUS development team