Request throttling

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Jul 2 18:02:01 CEST 2015

> On 2 Jul 2015, at 11:01, srithar jeevadurai <srijeevadurai1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Arran,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply. Let me explain the actual scenario.
>
> 1) Radius server is sending request to an external process over tcp/ip
> socket for accounting (start/stop/interim) request.
> 2) Based on the external process response, radius (custom module) will
> reply to GGSN.

> 3) Some time if response is slow from external process then radius server
> is facing child hung error and we have to restart radius server for the
> same.

Ok, well that's an issue. You should probably add a socket timeout in your module, so the server doesn't think the request has hung.

If all the workers are blocked in a system call, without sane timeouts no matter what else you change it's going to break the server, and require it to be restarted.

> 4) Since it is online system, we don;t want child hung happens actual
> intention is not to restart the system.

Fix your module.

> 5) I believe that it is happening may be due to radius process queue is
> filled with request and getting aged out.

Even if that's the case, it's a symptom of the real issue, which is your custom module.

-Arran