no-auth type error

Ross c6 ross at convergingtrails.com
Fri Jul 10 01:37:50 CEST 2015

Alan,

Thanks for this.  I had slavishly followed the testing instructions you
refer to.  I had uncommented the "bob" user and added in the "testing" user
at the top of the users file.  I had monitored the testing using -X.  I had
also pasted in the debugging system with no intelligible response (from my
layman perspective).  From the debug both the following were received by
freeRadius so no issues with firewall or corruption experienced by other.

"(9)     User-Name = 'bob'
(9)     User-Password = 'hello'"

And

(10)    User-Name = 'testing'
(10)    User-Password = 'password'

I have now reread the technical guide.  Other than a knowledge of freeradius
what am I missing ?

Your comment:  "So... how should the server authenticate a user if it
doesn't know (a) who the user is, and (b) what the correct password is for
that user?" is valid.  I had added these users in the user file and am
asking for a hint as to why they are not been seen by freeradius.  I have
attached the config file and pasted in the bits of interest below.

"testing Cleartest-Password := "password"
#
# 	Configuration file for the rlm_files module."

And

bob	Cleartext-Password := "hello"
	Reply-Message := "Hello, %{User-Name}"

I am sure it is something so obvious that it is possibly not in the how-to ?