Freeradius 3.0 - SQL - spare connections?

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Jul 15 14:41:22 CEST 2015

> On 15 Jul 2015, at 08:15, Andre Schwarzer <andreschwarzer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> have installed a new freeradius 3.0, bevor i worked with the Version 1.
>
> I see in my Test´s, in the radius.log the Messages below. I don´t know
> what are spare Connections, what they do and for what the radius use
> this.
> Additional i don´t know why i get this messeges with the Default
> Settings.
>
> Can some one explain me the usage of the spare Connections, best by an example.
>
> Wed Jul 15 13:34:25 2015 : Info: rlm_sql (sql): 0 of 5 connections in
> use.  Need more spares
> Wed Jul 15 13:34:25 2015 : Info: rlm_sql (sql): Opening additional
> connection (12)

The connection pool will attempt to find the minimum number of connections required to service the current load.

It will also open a number of spare connections to absorb any sudden increases in that load.

Without spare connections the server would have to open new connections when dealing with the load spike.  This could potentially cause a number of worker threads to block, and would affect the servers ability to 'ramp up' to deal with the new load level.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team