Trouble setting up vmps with 3.0.8 (3 series)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jun 16 21:56:18 CEST 2015

On Jun 16, 2015, at 3:11 PM, Manny <mvarroyo3+freeradius at gmail.com> wrote:
> I love the the spirit of the freeradius software and am really hoping to
> use it for some testing in my home environment. Alas,  I am having some
> definate trouble setting it up. When I use the magical google, all examples
> are for 2.0 and the documentation for setting up vmps with the 3 series
> appears a bit... lacking at least for my taste.

  The VMPS examples from v2 should work exactly the same in v3.

> What I have done so far.

  I'd suggest (as always) starting with the default configuration.  Then, enable vmps.

> [root at vmps01 raddb]# grep -v '^$' mods-enabled/mac2vlan|grep -v '#'

  It would be simpler (and politer) to explain what you've done.  Just dumping config files to an email isn't helpful.  That doesn't let me know what your description of what's been done.

> Neither config on the switches accepts a secret (as defined in the
> clients.conf file) but I tried running the config without it, and the
> service would not start.

  Yes.  That's a side effect of FreeRADIUS being a RADIUS server.  It needs secrets for clients, even for VMPS clients.

> Default installation enabled a bunch of other modules, but really I only
> want vmps (mac2vlan), but documentation doesn't really detail what I can
> remove to have vmps only service.

  Everything necessary is in raddb/sites-enabled/.  If the only file there is "vmps", then it's only running VMPS.