Authenticate to LDAP with GSSAPI

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Jun 22 01:39:22 CEST 2015

>> Not really correct, but does give a clue to what might be going on. With your patch status wouldn't get set on the final round of SASL auth, so rlm_ldap_sasl_interactive would return the wrong ldap_rcode_t value.
>
> Admittedly, I am not familiar enough with ldap library to be confident
> about my patch.
> It was based on gdb'ing both 'ldapsearch' and 'radiusd' and comparing
> the library calls as mentioned.

Sure.

>> rlm_ldap_result should be used to get the result via ldap_result, and check it for errors with ldap_parse_result. I can see that possibly ldap_parse_result is giving bad return codes, which is causing the loop to terminate.
>
> Note that this is what 'ldapsearch' seem to be doing, it breaks from
> the loop before calling 'ldap_result()' once we aren't in 'progress',
> see:
> https://github.com/osstech-jp/openldap/blob/wiredtiger/clients/tools/common.c#L1573

OK that helps.

So my guess is that ldap_result will indicate that the bind was successful before
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind indicates tells us that, and that on the final loop
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind doesn't actually send anything to the server, it just
indicates that the previous operation was successful.

Slightly odd that it wouldn't set some kind of NULL/noop msgid that would
indicate that, I guess that's a bug (or 'feature') of libldap.

I've fudged rlm_ldap_result to take a -1 msgid, which causes it to skip attempting
to retrieve the result, and just do error processing using the handle.

I think that should fix everything.

>> I can't really claim that, that's a bug in the libldap code, because the man pages don't explicitly mention ldap_result being able to parse SASL bind results.
>>
>> I'm guessing previously you were getting an error message starting with 'LDAP lib error:' could you post that to the list so we can see what ldap_parse_result was returning and determine if it was something innocuous being miscategorised as an error.
>
> Initially there was no error at binding stage but subsequents 'search'
> were sent and 'clear' and were not responded by the LDAP server
> (unless I limit 'ssf' as mentioned).

OK.

>> I saw one potential issue and fixed it, so you may want to try with current v3.0.x HEAD.
>
> Now I get similar failure to the one I got with my initial 'patch'
> (which I've posted two emails ago).
> The server hangs right after it prints "SASL data security layer
> installed." then it fails.

Yeah, that makes sense now...

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team