"Best" authentication mechanisms for Wi-Fi

Hoggins! hoggins at wheres5.com
Tue May 5 11:12:38 CEST 2015

Hello list,

We're using FreeRADIUS to authenticate users to access our Wi-Fi. It
works very well.
The thing is : we use a mechanism that works perfectly for Android and
Linux (NetworkManager) clients, but some can't access it, due to
limitations. I'm thinking of some Windows flavors here.

We store our passwords hashed in a MySQL database, and recommend the
users to connect using "WPA2 Enterprise (802.11x) using TTLS method and
PAP for phase2.

Do you think that we could find a more "universal" combination that even
"old" Windows clients would be compatible with ?

I know that my vocabulary might sound really "newbie", although we've
been running the system for quite some years now, and we had set it up
using tutorials and some customization.

But reading again the config. files, I can see that I might have to look
into the specifics on Windows compatibility in eap.conf file.

Anyway, in the meantime, if you have some hints on that, I'll be glad to
read them.

Best !