Sharing a client cert for EAP-TLS with many identical devices?

Martin Pauly pauly at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Thu May 7 15:41:17 CEST 2015

Hi all,

not exactly an FR problem, but at least I hope not a trivial question:
My institution is taking part in a program to test the use of 100+ WiFi
Clients handed out to students for use during a lecture or even for
online exams. So we have 140 iPads along with a "filling station"
for easy bulk configuration. WiFi auth will be done with EAP-TLS
against FR. Now my question: Do I definitely need 140 client certs
to deploy them on the iPads or could I get along with one cert for #
all?

The only drawback I can see is that if one iPad gets lost,
I have to renew the client cert on _all_ of them, which I
could bear due to the easy bulk config. Anything else?

THX in advance
Martin

--
   Dr. Martin Pauly     Phone:  +49-6421-28-23527
   HRZ Univ. Marburg    Fax:    +49-6421-28-26994