RFC: voucherBox (autoprovisioned wifi vouchers)

Luigi Capriotti l.capriotti at tiscali.it
Fri May 15 15:40:58 CEST 2015

There are a few turnkey solutions for WiFi vouchers management, but I
have not found a streamlined solution providing pure AAA services only.
What I mean is rely on a web auth authentication where FreeRADIUS acts
as AAA server for voucher codes, and where provision of vouchers could
be fully automated.
The scenario is a guest wifi hotspot where employees can obtain
time-limited wifi vouchers to hand over to their for external guests,
where expiration is calculated upon first use of the code.

As a result (although knowing very little of FreeRADIUS) I created
"voucherbox", ie a SaaS application providing both a web frontend for
voucher generation as well as AAA services to an external captive
portal. I pushed on github the implementation walk-though (starting from
zero and using Ubuntu), the required configuration files for both
FreeRADIUS and Apache and a POC web interface for voucher auto-provision:

https://github.com/lcapriotti/voucherBox

I would appreciate any constructive criticism from anyone with more
experience in FreeRADIUS than me (most of the list subscribers I
guess...), in a way to pinpoint the weaknesses or the unnecessary
intricacies that I may have come up with.

Thanks a lot in advance
Luigi Capriotti