Error receiving packet: Bad address (version 2.2.5 then 2.2.9)

Bertalan Voros bertalan.voros at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 16:13:04 CET 2015

Hello All,

I have been getting the following symptoms on one of the three FreeRADIUS
servers I look after.

The one affected is on a network that is not managed by me, so there is a
possibility that something has chagned around it that I was not told of.

The server otherwise has been running without issues for years more or
less, it was 2.25 until today, when out of desperation I upgraded it to
2.2.9 but still getting the same behavior like before.

Symptoms.

1. The server appears to be not responding.
2. When running in debug mode, it starts up as normal. When there is a
request received, the log/console runs away with either of the two below:

*Error receiving packet: Bad address*
*Waking up in 23.6 seconds.*

*Ready to process requests.Ready to process requests.Ready to process
requests.Ready to process requests.Ready to process requests.Ready to
process requests.*

It has a Windows NPS server downstream that it uses as its authentication
source.

The same configuration has been working flawlessly at the other two sites,
so something might have changed on the affected one, I am just unable to
figure out what.

Have you ever encountered these symptoms?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Bertalan