Failed binding to authentication address

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Nov 26 17:12:49 CET 2015

> On 26 Nov 2015, at 10:56, Federico Olivieri <lvrfrc87 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Mate, respect first of all. You don't know my level of experience. Maybe I
> started yesterday to linux world and I don't have a good general
> understanding, or maybe your answers are not very useful/detailed... If you
> want ban me from mailing list, do it without problem...I m sure that I'll
> manage to have ma radius server in anyway

You appeared to be wilfully ignorant.

Thu Nov 26 15:32:34 2015 : Error: Failed binding to authentication address
* port 1812: Address already in use
Thu Nov 26 15:32:34 2015 : Error: /etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf[240]: Error
binding to port for 0.0.0.0 port 1812

The error message is pretty clear, the server can't start because something else is already listening on the port.

In the output you provided, you stopped the radius daemon that was listening on the port, which fixed the issue, then restarted the daemon, which caused the issue to reappear.

There are numerous resources on the internet that explain how Unix style networking works,  I suggest you read them before seeking help here.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team