Minor 3.10 debian packaging bug

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Oct 6 13:23:11 CEST 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Matthew Newton <mcn4 at leicester.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 11:04:50AM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> Tested on ubuntu trusty, /etc/init.d/freeradius looks for pid file on
>> /var/run/freeradius/freeradius.pid, yet by default the server writes
>
>> Editing radiusd.conf from
>>
>> name = radiusd

>> name = freeradius
>
> Please check you've installed the latest version (and latest
> config files). This is patched as part of the debian packaging.
>
> https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/v3.0.x/debian/patches/radiusd-to-freeradius.diff#L22-L23
>
> It works here with a clean install on Debian jessie:
>
> $ dpkg-deb -x freeradius-config_3.0.10+git_amd64.deb /tmp/y
> $ grep ^name /tmp/y/etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf
> name = freeradius
> $

I think I found the culprit.

I used ubuntu ppa for building, basically by only editing the
changelog (so that my key can be used to sign the source) and upload
the source to ppa. However from the build log on
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/220364056/buildlog_ubuntu-trusty-amd64.freeradius_3.0.10-ppa1~trusty_BUILDING.txt.gz
, after "dpkg-buildpackage" line, I see that it calls

fakeroot debian/rules clean
debian/rules build-arch

while if I tried to build it locally with dpkg-buildpackage (as normal
user) it calls

fakeroot debian/rules clean
debian/rules build

And from debian/rules:

build: patch build-arch build-indep
build-arch: build-arch-stamp patch
build-arch-stamp: config.status
        $(MAKE)
        touch $@

So on the ppa, the patch didn't get called in time,
raddb/radiusd.conf.in is patched AFTER configure and make step,
leading to the unpatched radiusd.conf that I have.

Not sure why the ppa didn't call debian/rules build (bug on their
end?) but it looks like editing build-arch line on debian/rules should
do the trick. Will try this later.

--
Fajar