Connection issues with Android Marshmallow

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Oct 15 21:20:28 CEST 2015

> On Oct 15, 2015, at 3:15 PM, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I've attached a radius debug session of the android connection (that is not working for a user) as well as one for a connection with the user's ipad, which is working for the same user.  They look quite the same to me.  I've also attached a few config files - let me know if more would be useful.
>
> note: Sending Access-Accept packet to host 10.64.76.100 port 32770, id=236, length=0
>

> the RADIUS server has done its job. the client has talked to the server..no TLS issues, no DH or certificate
> issues. so the problem appears to be elsewhere....

In this case it's a bit trickier.  Authentication will appear to succeed and the MPPE keys will look valid,  but wpa_supplicant/eapol_test will derive different values and report a mismatch.

You can't really verify correct behaviour just from the RADIUS server logs, you need to test with eapol_test/wpa_supplicant or get debugging logs which have the output of wpa_supplicant, off of the android device.

-Arran