Dropping NAS-Port AVP from Acct-Unique-Session-Id by default

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Sep 18 15:44:55 CEST 2015

On Sep 18, 2015, at 8:36 AM, Nick Lowe <nick.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  You're free to make changes to your local config, of course.
>
> Of course, but that pushes the complexity of understanding all this on
> the administrator.

  I'm happy to update the server with more examples.

  I will NOT break the default configuration so that it works "better" for one set of users, at the expense of another set of users.  It's OK for you to not need NAS-Port in Acct-Unique-Session-Id.  But other people need it there.

> I wonder if a better approach here would therefore be a configuration
> ability to easily specify intent somehow and somewhere.

  Be my guest.  That's very hard, tho.

> Intent being specifying, for typical deployment scenarios, that you're
> doing wired/wireless 802.1X or instead something with dial-up /DSL
> concentrators.
>
> Different behaviour is optimal in these diverged use case scenarios.

  Yes.

  And how do you tell which scenario is which?  You edit your local configuration.

  It is almost impossible to set up the default configuration to automatically detect these things.  There are just too many unknowns.