Freeradius 3.0.12 problems - redis and mysql pool connections

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Thu Dec 22 21:01:23 CET 2016

On 22/12/2016 15:30, Michal Tomaszewski wrote:
> To be sure Freeradius is starting when redis or sql is not started yet (or not available for a while) in both redis and sql pool definition we have to use:
> pool {
>                  start = 0

If you are on a systemd-based system (e.g. CentOS 7, Ubuntu 16.04),
another option is to get systemd to restart freeradius for you.

systemctl edit radiusd   # or systemctl edit freeradius

This will throw you into an editor. Type:

[Service]
Restart=always
RestartSec=3

and exit and save. (Note: exact capitalisation is important)

Then if freeradius fails to start (e.g. because it can't open a
connection to a backend), systemd will restart it every 3 seconds.  In
addition, if freeradius dies for any reason, it will be restarted.

Adjust RestartSec as required - the default is 0.1s which is too
aggressive for my taste.

Regards,

Brian.