linelog oddity on 3.1.x

Jonathan Gazeley Jonathan.Gazeley at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Feb 18 15:05:15 CET 2016

Yesterday I built 3.1.x from git and today I'm tidying up the rough
edges in my config.

I spotted that my instantiation of linelog is not behaving quite as I'd
expect, as it appears not to tag the syslog_facility, and then rsyslog
makes up whatever it feels like. This behaviour has changed since 3.0.11
on the same box.

Here's my linelog module:

linelog logtosyslog {
         destination = syslog

         syslog {
                 syslog_facility = local5
         }

         # Default log message
         format = ""

         # Match packet type to blocks below
         reference = "logtosyslog.%{%{reply:Packet-Type}:-format}"

         logtosyslog {
                 Access-Accept = "%{Virtual-Server}: Login OK:
[%{User-Name}] (from client %S cli %{Calling-Station-Id})"
                 Access-Reject = "%{Virtual-Server}: Login incorrect:
[%{User-Name}] (from client %S cli %{Calling-Station-Id})"

And here's what the server prints when run in -X:

/etc/raddb/mods-enabled/logtosyslog
   linelog logtosyslog {
         destination = "syslog"
         delimiter = " "
    file {
         permissions = 384
         escape_filenames = no
    }
    syslog {
         severity = "info"
    }
    unix {
    }
    tcp {
         timeout = 1000.000000
    }
    udp {
         timeout = 1000.000000

Looks like it's just not picking up on the syslog_facility config item.
Any pointers for beating it into submission?

Thanks,
Jonathan