how to test CHAP authentication with radtest/radclient

Michael Martinez mwtzzz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 02:28:11 CET 2016

I'm running freeradius-3.0.11. I've got a test user configured in the
local unix system, and PAP authentication works. I'm trying to test it
with CHAP (for educational purposes). First I run radtest:

radtest -t chap test4 testing4 127.0.0.1 0 xxxxx
(7) Login incorrect (chap: &control:Cleartext-Password is required for
authentication): [test4/<CHAP-Password>] (from client localhost port
0)

Then I try radclient:
echo "User-Name=test4,Cleartext-Password=testing4,Chap-Password=testing4"
| radclient 127.0.0.1 auth hello
I tried this latter one with different combinations of
"User-Password", "CHAP-Password" and "Cleartext-Password" but they all
result in the same error seen below:

(11) Found Auth-Type = CHAP
(11) # Executing group from file
/usr/local/freeradius/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/default
(11)   Auth-Type CHAP {
(11) chap: ERROR: &control:Cleartext-Password is required for authentication
(11)     [chap] = fail
(11)   } # Auth-Type CHAP = fail
(11) Failed to authenticate the user
(11) Login incorrect (chap: &control:Cleartext-Password is required
for authentication): [test4/<CHAP-Password>] (from client localhost
port 0)

I can't tell whether I'm running the tests incorrectly or I've got the
server set up incorrectly (I suspect it's the former.)
--
---
Michael Martinez