Connect problem

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 1 15:25:24 CEST 2016

On Jul 1, 2016, at 8:53 AM, Henrik Kressner <kressner at synkro.dk> wrote:

> On 01-07-2016 14:12, Alan DeKok wrote:
>> On Jul 1, 2016, at 8:08 AM, Henrik Kressner <kressner at synkro.dk> wrote:
>>> I believe I did just that in the file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/users
>>   Is that the right file to edit?  Maybe you've installed multiple versions of the server.
>
> Not at the same time. I cleaned totally before I installed from source.

  This is probably the root cause of the problem.  You're editing one file left over from a previous installation, and the server is reading a file from the new installation.

  What?  Because you installed multiple versions of the software.  And you didn't keep track of which one was installed where.

  If you READ the debug output, it shows you which configuration files it's reading.

  If you READ the debug output, it will show you the full path to the "users" file it's reading.

  If you READ the debug output, it will show you which entry in the "users" file it's matching.

  If you READ the debug output, it will show you what the "files" module is doing.

  This shouldn't be complicated.  We say to READ the debug output because we mean it.  It really looks like you're ignoring 99% of the debug output, and then only looking at tiny portions of it.  This is not the recommended approach.

  After almost 20 years of doing this, I've seen this problem a lot: "But I'm doing everything correctly, and it still doesn't work!"

  No, you're not doing everything correctly.  Maybe you're doing something you're not supposed to do.  Or, maybe you're not doing something you *are* supposed to do.

  The server works for everyone else.  Really.  If it doesn't work for you, it's because of a local configuration change which broke it.