FreeRADIUS 3.0 - Help with understanding op value for cleartext-password

Ian Hiddleston ian.hid at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 14:23:00 CEST 2016

Ah, that makes sense! I'm asking because I was sat staring at this for a
bit before figuring it out. I did read through the Operators bit on the
website, I guess I failed pretty hard at getting the wider picture logic
though. At the time I was trying to match a plaintext password in the
request to a plaintext password in the DB, which I thought would work with
'=='.

We don't use these accounts for anything other than matching DSL users to
routes (not integrated with other backends) so the password is more for
misconfiguration prevention than anything security related.

Received Access-Request Id 170 from 127.0.0.1:39871 to 127.0.0.1:1812
length 79
        User-Name = 'cocotest4'
        User-Password = 'Password01'
        NAS-IP-Address = 10.9.4.53
        NAS-Port = 1812
        Message-Authenticator = 0x6d25a89d069f56a85c48af5b3559227d
(0)  mancmsmrad01mc1 : EXPAND
%{%{Stripped-User-Name}:-%{%{User-Name}:-DEFAULT}}
(0)  mancmsmrad01mc1 :    --> cocotest4
(0)  mancmsmrad01mc1 : SQL-User-Name set to 'cocotest4'
rlm_sql (mancmsmrad01mc1): Reserved connection (4)
(0)  mancmsmrad01mc1 : EXPAND SELECT id, username, attribute, value, op
FROM radcheck WHERE username = '%{SQL-User-Name}' ORDER BY id
(0)  mancmsmrad01mc1 :    --> SELECT id, username, attribute, value, op
FROM radcheck WHERE username = 'cocotest4' ORDER BY id
rlm_sql (mancmsmrad01mc1): Executing query: 'SELECT id, username,
attribute, value, op FROM radcheck WHERE username = 'cocotest4' ORDER BY id'
(0)  mancmsmrad01mc1 : User found in radcheck table
(0)    [mancmsmrad01mc1] = ok
(0)   } # redundant redundant_sql = ok
(0)   [expiration] = noop
(0)   [logintime] = noop
(0)  WARNING: pap : No "known good" password found for the user.  Not
setting Auth-Type
(0)  WARNING: pap : Authentication will fail unless a "known good" password
is available
(0)   [pap] = noop
(0)  } #  authorize = ok
(0) ERROR: No Auth-Type found: rejecting the user via Post-Auth-Type =
Reject
(0) Failed to authenticate the user
(0) Using Post-Auth-Type Reject

MariaDB [radius]> select * from radcheck where username='cocotest4';
| id   | username  | attribute          | op | value      |
| 1653 | cocotest4 | Cleartext-Password | == | Password01 |

Thanks,
Ian