4.0 etc.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 8 14:21:36 CEST 2016

On Jul 8, 2016, at 7:18 AM, Mathieu Simon (Lists) <matsimon.lists at simweb.ch> wrote:
> In case of those stable/enterprise distribution. Obviously they won't
> take care about FR release dates and simply pick what they got at a
> point and stick with it for 5-10y of their support timelines.

  Which means that we need to be careful about stable releases.

> Definitely welcomes changes. I think what many admins shy away from is
> larger changes in configuration structure. (even it it's meaningful
> improvements ...)

  I think we can make 4.0 mostly compatible with 3.x.  The biggest change is to go to a simplified section naming:

recv Access-Request {
	... authorize stuff ...
}

send Access-Accept {
	... post-auth stuff ...
}

  This change means that the core of the server becomes *much* simpler.  And yes, it breaks ~20 years of configuration.  Sorry about that. :(

  But we should be able to come up with compatibility solutions, so people don't have to change too much.

> If 4.x doesn't include too many changes transitions will be more smooth.

  It looks to be pretty much like 3.x, except for the change noted above.  There are many other changes under the hood, which don't show up as config changes.

> Which means it's easier for a small group of people to maintain / extend it.

  That's the goal.

>>  I've got to do that real soon now...  There were a few issues reported that I want fixed before 3.0.12.
> OK, again for what I use it for, it seems pretty robust so props on that.

  Thanks.

>>  And then I don't want to touch 3.0 any more.
> Whenever that final point arrives make it crystal clear. :-)

  We've tried to make it clear for version 2.  There are still tons of people using it.