pam_radius - authenticate user not known to PAM

Adam Bishop Adam.Bishop at jisc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 17 19:39:42 CEST 2016

On 17 Jun 2016, at 11:27, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> PAM sucks.

That it does.

I'm trying reconfigure a dial in VPN to use pam_radius for authentication. Unfortunately, libreswan (the daemon in use) does not support EAP outside of PPP.

FreeRADIUS and pam_radius work absolutely fine, but because the user does not exist on the local system (I think) the authentication fails.

"Throw it in the bin and use StrongSwan and EAP" is my current favourite solution, but if anyone knows enough pam-fu to make PAM happy without a user having an entry in /etc/passwd you'll be able to save me half a day of work.

Bonus: RedHat seem to have compiled their PAM without debug or tracing support.

Regards,

Adam Bishop

  gpg: 0x6609D460

jisc.ac.uk