Proxy realms and home_server_pool fallback not working

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Mar 9 00:40:45 CET 2016

On Mar 8, 2016, at 4:54 PM, Peter Lambrechtsen <peter at crypt.co.nz> wrote:
> I think that was my issue, as I was using a second VM on the network as the
> proxy destination I was shutting down the destination server and not
> waiting for the zombie period to expire.

  Yeah.  It's documented, but it's not immediately obvious.

> That seems to be my issue, I've just re-tested that with 3.0.x head and had
> the zombie_timeout set too high. After I wound that number down to the same
> as check_interval and once the server went to zombie then the fallback
> occurred.

  Good.

> Granted I won't have the values set this low in production, but since this
> will be a high volume server with some critical services on it. I suspect I
> will stick with 30 seconds or 1 min for the check interval but keep the
> zombie value at 20 seconds.

  The check interval can be set lower without any problem.  It's only one RADIUS packet.

> So if a radius server dies or becomes
> unresponsive we don't wait around until we mark it zombie before we start
> authing everyone locally. Then have a reasonable backoff before we attempt
> to start authing again.

  Yes.  It's OK to set zombie_period to a low value.  In any normal deployment, you'll be proxying many packets a second to a home server.  If it doesn't respond to *any* packets for 10 seconds, you're pretty sure it's dead.

  1 to 2 seconds is probably too low, as there may be transient network issues which are that long.

> Many thanks again.

  You're welcome.