Ldap query

Franks Andy (IT Technical Architecture Manager) Andy.Franks at sath.nhs.uk
Thu Mar 10 23:43:09 CET 2016

Thanks Arran,
  So it seems that disabling "chase referals" might fix things, it's certainly a huge amount quicker and doesn't sit there binding until timeout. If, as part of the redundant-load-balance module handling, the "downed" server gets called, it waits for a search result from the dead server for the res_timeout figure, and then tries to get back it's required pool amount since it deleted the inviable connection, but it tries the same server.
This is the bit I'd like to understand - it then waits "Connecting to..." for about 75-80 seconds before it idles out all the pooled connections, even if the idle option in mods-enabled/ldap is set to something quite a bit lower like 20 seconds. Is this expected? It's not a huge problem as stuff eventually catches up and when new connections are tried, the fail response is quite quick and will try the next server in the redundant... bit.
Two questions :
- Is the 75-80 seconds expected (not a huge deal)
- Is it worth me debugging to find out why AD is giving out referals that presumably can't be connected to, and if so how? I tried adding debug options "debug 255" and "logdir /var/log" to ldap.conf, and turning on the 0x0028 option in mods-enabled/ldap but I can't see any debugging information - any clues?
Thanks again!
Andy.