Freeradius systemd radiusd.service fails

Nathan Ward lists+freeradius at daork.net
Tue Mar 15 10:07:16 CET 2016

> On 15/03/2016, at 21:44, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Ibrahim Almahfooz
> <ibrahim.nezar at gorannet.net> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We currently using freeradius version 3.0.11 and it is compiled to work
>> with oracle db and everything is fine and smooth when running the service
>> using radiusd -X or radiusd.
>>
>> Once we start the service using systemctl start radiusd.service or
>> systemctl restart radiusd.service then we receive the below error:
>>
>> "Job for radiusd.service failed because the control process exited with
>> error code. See "systemctl status radiusd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for
>> details."
>

> What does "systemctl status radiusd.service" and "journalctl -xe" say?
> It should tell you what it thinks is wrong.
>
> One possibility is that oracle depends on $ORACLE_HOME env variable,
> which is present when you log in as root/normal user, but not
> available when started by systemd. If that's the case, use Environment
> or EnvironmentFile inside the systemd unit. Look at your existing
> systemd unit files (e.g. ssh.service) for example.

Another thing to check is your selinux config. Services started under systemd can get more/less permissions than you expect.

Watch /var/log/audit/audit.log when you start it. You might also try disabling selinux (setenforce 0) temporarily to test. You should write a policy that does what you want if you prove that selinux is the problem though, rather than disabling it. It’s not too difficult.

--
Nathan Ward