Network Design - FreeRadius

Richard J Palmer richard at merula.net
Tue Mar 15 11:32:00 CET 2016

Hi

Currently I have a NAS device in a hosting centre and the SQL Server
with the auth and accounting data in another data centre.

There's a 1G link between the two and the ping time between them is
~9ms

In time I am hoping to move the SQL server closer to the main NAS, but
for now would the best option be to place the FR server closer to the
NAS (with a higher latency to the SQL server) OR place the FR serve
closer to the SQL box ?

Currently I have the FR server near the NAS and the SQL server remote
- but wanted to check this was 'sensible'

Moving to FR 3 (from an old server with 2.12) I am seeing more log
messages like:

Tue Mar 15 10:26:24 2016 : Error: (27774) Ignoring duplicate packet
from client mer-fire11 port 3799 - ID: 181 due to unfinished request
in component post-auth module sql

and

Tue Mar 15 10:27:12 2016 : Error: (27785) Discarding duplicate request
from client mer-fire11 port 3799 - ID: 158 due to delayed response

I have my DBA checking the radius server to see if anything can be
tuned here - but I wanted to ensure we had the best possible setup
here - We are using MSSQL as the backend here - via UnixODBC/freetds

Thanks in advance

Richard