Problem with multiple LDAP servers

Jonathan Gazeley Jonathan.Gazeley at bristol.ac.uk
Wed May 4 14:05:31 CEST 2016

Don't worry folks - this isn't a repeat of the same question about
multiple LDAP servers. I've read the docs and I know how it's *supposed*
to work, but I think I've found a discrepancy in the messages printed by
the server. I'm running FreeRADIUS 3.0.11.

I started off with an instantiation of the ldap module configured with
multiple server names comma-separated on the same line, like this:

server = 'ldap1.bris.ac.uk,ldap2.bris.ac.uk,ldap3.bris.ac.uk'

This appears to work but on startup the server prints this warning:

Warning: Listing multiple LDAP servers in the 'server' configuration
item is deprecated and will be removed in a future release.  Use
multiple 'server' configuration items instead

So, I tried that suggestion and ran with a config like this:

server = 'ldap1.bris.ac.uk'
server = 'ldap2.bris.ac.uk'
server = 'ldap3.bris.ac.uk'

But this yields a warning:

Warning: /etc/raddb/mods-enabled/uobldap[22]: Ignoring duplicate
configuration item 'server'

For now I'm sticking with the old syntax which seems to do the right
thing, but the spurious warning should probably be addressed in the server.

Thanks,
Jonathan

--
Jonathan Gazeley