Matching a prefix in huntgroups file

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri Nov 11 14:26:37 CET 2016

On 11/11/2016 11:50, Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2016, at 6:05 AM, Brian Candler <b.candler at pobox.com> wrote:
>>>    Numerical IPv4 addresses have large overlap with hostnames.
>> Is there a RADIUS data type for "hostname" which is not a string? I could not find it in "man dictionary"
>    Are you really going to claim that you *don't* want the server to accept host names on input, and turn them into IP addresses?
On "input" in what context? Are you thinking of something like this?

     Framed-IP-Address := foo.example.com

>> Put another way: how is a hostname distinct from a string? Is there any location in unlang where you would want to use a bare hostname, where you couldn't enclose it in double-quotes to make it a string?
>    Sure, if you want to treat host names as *strings*, and not have them converted to addresses.
>
>    i.e. hostnames *are* addresses after they're parsed.

To be pedantic, hostnames become addresses after they're resolved. It
doesn't necessarily follow that they're resolved at the time they're parsed.

The server *can* choose to resolve them at parse time, with some
consequences (e.g. having to restart server if data in DNS changes).
But it could delay resolution until the time of use.