password-less keys for TLS

Ben Humpert ben at an3k.de
Fri Nov 11 21:29:38 CET 2016

A password encrypted server key can't just get copied, you also need
to read the config file for the password. A password-less server key
instead is very easily copied. Often the key needs less restrictive
permissions so the running application can read it but the config file
can be set to read-only by root.

Depending on the client a password-less client key is fine, eg. for
desktop computers. For every client that physically enters the world
outside I always use password encrypted keys just because I don't need
to revoke them immediately.