LDAP group query optimisation

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Oct 13 17:07:23 CEST 2016

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 10:48 AM, Brian Candler <b.candler at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Specify the group as a DN and it won't do the translation.
>
> Thanks, that works.
>
> I guess there is some implicit logic which checks to see if the string tastes like a DN or not. Ah yes: rlm_ldap_is_dn().

:)

> > If you want to examine the DN values yourself using a foreach loop, toggle on cacheable_dn, all the membership DNs will then be available as LDAP-Group instances.
>
> OK, that works too. It materializes LDAP-Group and LDAP-Group[*], which can then also be used in string expansions.

Well it converts the groups to VP instances, LDAP-Group[*] is just the all instance selector.

> I didn't investigate this flag before, because it said it was for use with rlm_cache, which I'm not using.
>
> Some documentation on the magical behaviour of the LDAP-Group attribute would be nice to have :-)

RTFC :p

Actually RTFMing reveals:

		#  If cacheable_name or cacheable_dn are enabled,
		#  all group information for the user will be
		#  retrieved from the directory and written to LDAP-Group
		#  attributes appropriate for the instance of rlm_ldap.

I added a note about it not just being for rlm_cache.

> > I can see some advantages do extracting groups from the RDN, so feel free to add an issue ticket.
>
> Done: https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/issues/1788

Thanks.

-Arran