FreeRADIUS, radsec and dnssec

Brian Julin BJulin at clarku.edu
Thu Apr 6 16:53:17 CEST 2017

I did some preliminary work along this line a couple years back
(rlm_unbound, rlm_idn, and in an unmerged and probably stale
branch on github is the start of the query side of DDDS support.)

That took care of finding verified IP addresses for home servers
based on a realm name.  Also it could be used for simpler purposes
in a degenerate mode, like RRDNS for load balancing.  But what I
implemented was just the part where you find IP addresses, not make
them into home servers.

Dynamic home servers was the missing ingredient at that time.
I have seen indications from the core team that they are working
to address this.  The further challenge after that is session-aware
load balancing correctly through a DNS change, and of course closing
the security loop by validating the realm against server certificates.

It's a pretty big project when you do more than just simple proxying.
I would not expect it to materialize quickly, but people know the need
is out there.