As freeradius validates the client certificate on an EAP-TLS connection and OCSP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Apr 11 18:20:03 CEST 2017

On Apr 11, 2017, at 4:46 PM, Miguel Hinojosa <miguel.hinojosa at gruposothis.com> wrote:

> We are documenting the architecture and configuration of freeradius 3.0.11
> deployed. We need confirmation on two doubts about EAP-TLS connection.

  Most of these questions are about TLS.  EAP-TLS uses the standard TLS protocol and certificates in the standard way.  The only difference is that TLS is carried in EAP, instead of TCP.

> When the mentioned client with cert-client-issued-by-issuingCA-2.pem
> try connecting to radius:
> *Case 1: client sends issuingCA-2.pem certificate during ssl
> negotiation. Although radius does not have it in your local CA, radius
> will be able to complete the chain according to the
> ssl-chain-verification documentation, the client's certificate is
> signed by issuingCA-2 and signed by rootCA.pem that it does, correct?
> *Case 2: client does not send the issuingCA-2.pem certificate, it will
> not be able to complete the chain and should deny the connection,
> right?

  I'd suggest asking RedHat about their documentation.  We didn't write it, so we can't help much.

  If you want to know how EAP-TLS works, the standard is publicly available:

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5216.txt

> But when freeradius checks the client's certificate via OCSP, does it
> verify during the same connection (request) the certificate of the
> intermediate CA?

  The certificate chain is checked.  If an intermediate CA fails validation, the end client certificate cannot be validated.  This is how TLS works.