not able to install FR 3.0.16+git in (pure) Debian 9

Rui Ribeiro ruyrybeyro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 18:27:45 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have been compiling and deploying FR source for a good while in Debian 9;
however upon trying to install it in a cleanly installed system, I just
found out I cant.

The difference is that my production system (still) has a dangling libssl
version from Debian 8 backports, that was installed *before* the upgrade to
Debian 9.

As in:

$dpkg -l | grep libssl

ii  libssl1.0.0:amd64                         1.0.2k-1~bpo8+1   <<---
 amd64        Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries

ii  libssl1.0.2:amd64                         1.0.2l-2
  amd64        Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries

ii  libssl1.1:amd64                           1.1.0f-3
  amd64        Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries

So clearly the leftover libssl satisfies a built-in dependency, even though
it was compiled in another server *without* the 1.0.2k libssl, and when
running, it ends up using libssl1.1, as:

#ldd /usr/sbin/freeradius  | grep libssl
libssl.so.1.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1
(0x00007fed0b35b000)

However, in a pure Debian 9 system, I see this error when trying to install
FR 3.0.16 git from my internal repository:

 freeradius : Depends: libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.1) but it is not installable

The only thing that I change to compile it is in

debian/control:10: libjson0 | libjson-c2,

Changing libjson-c2 to libjson-c3.

I also know the culprit of the runtime behaviour I am describing is this
rule:

debian/rules:59:       SUBSTVARS = -Vdist:Depends="libssl1.0.0 (>=
1.0.1e-2+deb7u5)"

I would like to ask for a change for installing it in Debian 9; it has been
running well, however I do not have the necessary background to propose a
*proper quality* patch.

--
Regards,

--
Rui Ribeiro
Senior Linux Architect and Network Administrator