We have a new web site!

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri Aug 11 23:51:25 CEST 2017

> On 8 Aug 2017, at 17:25, Timo Buhrmester <timo.buhrmester at fhr.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>
>>  The design is modern
> Cool! Javascript! And it feels like a smartphone app.  I already feel
> all warm and fuzzy inside.  /s
>
> Thanks for rendering the website "modern", because clearly "modern" is
> the future.  Can't have websites that are discernible from each other.
>
> Or websites that wouldn't depend on pointless Javash^Hcript, for that
> matter…

Looked into this a bit more,  didn’t realise the extent to which the design team had used unnecessary API calls and angular.js markup throughout the site.  The original intent was to use the API as an abstraction, so the backend scripts which trawl through Git, could be swapped out/enhanced at a later date without affecting the presentation side of things. The only really valid uses for the API are for getting information for server side static rendering (using Jekyll), returning search results, and maybe returning subsets of a particular dataset (arguably that could just be done with different pages in the case of module categories).

We'll endeavour to fix it and i've added an item to the GitHub tracker for the website.

That said, presenting criticism without specific technical focus, and with overt sarcasm meant your somewhat valid comments were initially ignored.  You might want to adjust your communications style to avoid being dismissed as just another fucking asshole who contributes nothing to OSS, and just wants to bitch and whine to make themselves feel important.

-Arran