Using Rsyslog with FReeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Dec 5 13:18:35 CET 2017

On Dec 5, 2017, at 6:39 AM, Peter Hutchison <p.j.hutchison at hud.ac.uk> wrote:

> We are currently testin Freeradius 3.0.15 on Ubuntu 16.04 servers.
> Accounting logging is enabled for Interim-Updates from our Wireless Aps and we are sending accounting information direct to our Palo Alto firewall test box via syslog on port 514 (UDP).
> This is to collect username and IP address of users logging into our wireless network. This is working fine.
>
> We have noticed via Nagios and top command that the freeradius service is using 99%+ CPU Load for long periods. Is there anything we can do to the configuration to reduce the load on the server?

  That depends.  The question is not how to "reduce the load".  The question is where is the load coming from?

  If the server is busy, then a high load is normal.

  The usual problem of high load is because the server is under-provisioned.  i.e. it's a small system being asked to do a lot of work.

  Another issue could be external scripts.  Running an external script is *very* expensive.  Running thousands of them per second can easily cause high CPU.

  So the solution is to find the cause of the problem.  The solution isn't to find some magic setting to "reduce the load".