freeradius 3.0.15 not tarting if one LDAP server not reachable

Enno Gröper groepeen at cms.hu-berlin.de
Fri Dec 15 15:01:32 CET 2017

Hi,

We are running freeradius with authentication against several LDAP
clusters (2-node):

Example config:

Auth-Type LDAP_CMS {
   redundant-load-balance {  # between ldap servers
     ldap_cms1
     ldap_cms2

If one of those ldap servers (i.e. ldap_cms2) can't be reached
(temporary failure, maintenance, ...), freeradius won't start:

Thu Dec 14 21:05:31 2017 : Error: rlm_ldap (ldap_cms2): Could not start
TLS: Can't contact LDAP server
Thu Dec 14 21:05:31 2017 : Error: rlm_ldap (ldap_cms2): Opening
connection failed (0)
Thu Dec 14 21:05:31 2017 : Error:
/usr2/freeradius/etc/raddb/mods-enabled/ldap[844]: Instantiation failed
for module "ldap_cms2"
Thu Dec 14 21:05:36 2017 : Info: Debugger not attached

Are there any ideas how to work around this problem?
Looking at the code rlm_ldap instantiation would fail, if there is any
problem.

If freeradius is already running, there is no problem with a failing
ldap server. But a freeradius restart in such a situation means a full
service failure (even if only one of 8 ldap servers is down).

@devs:
Do you think error handling could be extended here to distinguish
between temporary and permanent (configuration) errors? Or would this
add too much complexity?
I assume, this would be a too complex change for 3.x.
At this point in time we don't know, that there will be a redundant
config for this authentication source.
Should I open a bug for this?

Kind regards,
Enno