RADIUS and user names

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 20:51:05 CET 2017

I have configured my Linux system so that access to it over SSH is
authenticated by a remote RADIUS servers. This works fine, but the user
must be defined locally, and it must have a home directory. In my efforts
to dispense with these requirements, I used a combination of the NSS and
PAM. This works, but it requires another server out there, be it NIS, or
LDAP, or something like that.

Is it not possible to do what I need with a RADIUS server alone? Or is it
the case tha RADIUS such does not have such capabilities?