How to use sqlcounter to disconnect a user after reaching the daily quota?

Houman houmie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 09:38:53 CET 2017

Dear Nathan,

Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer. I must admit, I'm fairly
new to Freeradius.
FYI my NAS is StrongSwan and it seems to be supporting CoA:
https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/EAPRAdius

I'm happy to use rlm_sqlcounter, if it makes it easier. You are right in
saying I'm using sql accounting anyway. I just double checked and I can see
Octlets inside Radacc table. So that's good news.

But looking at the example you posted, it is a bit confusing to me.

e.g. if I'm looking at the function sqlcounter chillispot_max_bytes_monthly
{ ... }

Is the function chillispot_max_bytes_monthly called from some other place?
How do I set this up?

You mentioned to look at the Reply-Name and set it to something
recognisable for later processing. In this case above, it is set to
ChilliSpot-Max-Total-Octets.
But I don't quite understand what you mean by checking if it's set? I
suppose the function chillispot_max_bytes_monthly above would somehow be
called for each user and as soon as the condition of max_bytes_month is
met, then it should trigger the COA, correct? Do you happen to have an
example for this case, which I could take on and study?

Regarding your third and simplest solution, which is using SQL xlat to return
a boolean flag if the user is over the limit. Yes, that is certainly
possible. I suppose I have to use the Octlets fields to calculate it myself
in xlat? Do you have any example or documentation how to do that?

Many Thanks,
Houman