Session-Timeout Problem

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Feb 2 21:14:57 CET 2017

On Feb 2, 2017, at 3:02 PM, Selahattin Cilek <selahattin_cilek at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  I set up my test network three weeks ago and I have been trying to
> solve this problem since. I just want to find out how to configure
> FreeRADIUS to communicate the Session-Timeout attribute every time a
> session is renewed.

  In post-auth:

	update reply {
		Session-Timeout := 3600
	}

  Will set it to 3600 for every Access-Accept.

  What's so hard about that?

 And why aren'y you describing HOW you're currently setting Session-Timeout?

  You're working very hard to give only vague hints about what you're doing.  The more vague your messages, the more vague the answers, and the less we can help you.

  Your configuration isn't a secret.  It does what 1,000,000 other systems do.  Explain what you're doing, and post the debug log (honestly, what's the problem with that?).

  If you can't do that, you won't get the problem fixed.

> This script runs at the beginning of each session and checks whether or
> not the user has reached his quota. If he has, he is denied access:

  You can write all that in unlang.

> I have not chosen to achieve my goal using the Acct-Interim-Interval
> attribute because I don't know how to make FreeRADIUS react upon
> receiving an interim update packet.

  Really?  Just read the debug log, and see what it does when it receives an interim update packet.

  The information you need to solve the problem is in front of you.  You're working VERY hard to avoid solving the problem.

> Even if I did, I would not know how
> to make the NAS terminate the user's session.

  The NAS should have documentation.  Go read it.  It's not hard.

> I agree I might not have been verbose enough so far, but you'll agree I
> could not post all the data related to the issue.

  I don't agree.  You could have given a LOT more useful information.  Your messages have been cryptic and minimal.

> I know people do not
> like to read lots of cryptic messages, and I hoped you would fill in the
> gaps.

  So stop posting cryptic messages.  It's like playing 20 questions.  You post a message which is vague and based on incorrect assumptions, and then wonder why we're having a hard time helping you.

  Read the debug log.  Read the documentation.  If you can't do that, well, you'll never solve the problem.