The Class attributed is missing in some accounting packets sent from the same NAS.

Selahattin Cilek selahattin_cilek at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 7 21:47:22 CET 2017

I modified my SQL function a little bit and restarted all the APs on the
site and truncated the radacct table and now each and every row in the
table has a true username. (At least for now...) I think the problem was
because I reconfigured a live FreeRADIUS setup to use SQL instead of
flat files. (After designing and testing in my home lab, of course.)
Since the NASes (30 Unifi AP-LRs and 5 Ubiquiti Nanostation M2s) do not
properly carry out the session timeout policy declared by FreeRADIUS and
are not configured to terminate sessions at regular intervals,
theoretically a session could last forever. When I made the transition
to SQL, the NASes did not forget about the old session data and kept
sending FreeRADIUS back accounting packets using the old settings, ie
*without* the Class attribute.

Thank you all very much. I am new to FreeRADIUS and it has been quite a
steep learning curve this past week. I must say FreeRADIUS is very solid
and has a very clean and clear design. I believe FreeRADIUS has a future
and I'd like to learn more about it. Could you please recommend a book?

Best regards.
Selahattin CILEK

---