FreeRADIUS not authenticating to Samba AD

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jul 13 00:32:32 CEST 2017

On Jul 12, 2017, at 6:27 PM, Luke Barone <LBarone at sd57.bc.ca> wrote:
> I followed the guide, and it works for the first section. I can authenticate just fine. When I get to "Configuring FreeRADIUS to use ntlm_auth for MS-CHAP", it does not.

  Yes, it does.

> After looking through the wireless setup, it was trying to authenticate using "PAP" instead of "MSCHAPv2". I changed that, then it worked just fine.

  The server automatically picks MSCHAP if you send it MSCHAP authentication.  That's what the guide suggests you do.

  The debug log you posted shows it using User-Password, i.e. PAP.  Not MS-CHAP.  That's why it didn't automatically work.

  If you want to force ntlm_auth authentication for PAP, you have to leave the 'Auth-Type := ntlm_auth' in the configuration.