MySQL DB and /n in Cisco-AVPair problem

Andy Smith a.smith at ldex.co.uk
Wed Jul 19 17:11:01 CEST 2017

Hi everyone,

  we are attempting to migrate a system from FreeRadius 1.x to 3.x and
we have an issue with our Cisco network devices. Basically
authentication fails. Stepping back a bit and doing some testing with
NTRadPing everything looks ok, except for one small detail.

With both the 1.x and 3.x systems we get "response: Access-Accept" and a
load of details such as Service-Type, Tunnel-Password etc. However I see
differences for non printing characters such as "/n". So for the
Cisco-AVPair in the output in NTRadPing I see on 1.x:

lcp:interface-config=ip unnumbered loopback 2003\n

But on 3.x I see:

lcp:interface-config=ip unnumbered loopback 2003\0x0a

The output from 1.x is exactly how the data is entered and displays
direct in MySQL. I've tried double escaping the "\" but it doesn't make
any difference. I see that 0x0a is the ASCII encoding for \n, has
something changed in FreeRadius WRT this? Or perhaps its an issue at the
MySQL level?
I also note the output for the Tunnel-Password displays differently
between 1.x and 3.x.

I'm testing this on FreeBSD 11.0 and FreeRadius 3.0.14 and MySQL 8.0
(although I've previously encountered this issue with 5.x),

thanks, Andy.