Ways to simplify configs?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jul 27 15:47:51 CEST 2017

On Jul 27, 2017, at 8:21 AM, adrian.p.smith at bt.com wrote:

> We have a different way of managing this.
>
> 1. We store almost a complete raddb folder in a GIT repo with an associated automated integration test suite written in Cucumber-JVM and run by gradle. The tests gzip up the config and, with some minor tweaks, applies it to a local copy of FreeRadius which is spun up by the test suite as required along with other stub servers for downstream radius and REST servers. We use a Java Radius client to feed in packets and assert that things happen, in the stubs and the client, as expected.

  I tend to recommend using git for the configuration.  It helps with so many things...

> 2. The project is built in Jenkins and, assuming all the tests pass, the gzip file becomes the deployable artefact

  That's probably the simplest thing.

> 3. We use another tool called Ansible (similar to Puppet) that the uploads and uzips to the production servers after first backing up the existing config. FreeRadius is then automatically restarted.

  I've used Salt with good success.  But it handles subdirectories. :(  I just create the config I want in a subdirectory in salt, and then tell it to sync the subdirectory to another machine.