FR 3.0.12 exec_perl: ERROR: Failed to create pair &request:EAP-Message

Herwin Weststrate freeradius at herwinw.nl
Sat Jun 3 09:29:25 CEST 2017

Thor Spruyt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with FR 3.0.12 as a proxy with a perl modules in the
> authorize section which does not include the EAP-Message attributes
> from the incoming request into the outgoing proxy request. When I
> disable the perl module, the EAP-Message is proxied correctly and the
> problem only occurs with multiple EAP-Message attributes.
>
> I found this conversation from 11/2016 which seems to be related:
> http://freeradius.1045715.n5.nabble.com/PERL-and-EAL-TLS-Modul-gt-Failed-to-create-pair-amp-request-EAP-Message-RAD-REQUEST-EAP-Message-td5743281.html
>  However, the conversation seems to have stopped without a solution
> or fix and I don't see anything in the release notes of 3.0.13 or
> 3.0.14 either... so I guess the issue has not been taken care of
> yet.

I remember trying to reproduce that case without success. Even though,
could you still try it with 3.0.14, not every fix ends up in the
changelog or a mail thread.

Otherwise, since this problem occurs something in the conversion of
binary data to a hexadecimal representation, I guess we could fix it by
skipping that step. Perl can handle binary strings perfectly fine, and
trying to make changes to a binary value in rlm_perl now requires a pack
and unpack. If we make it a config option that is disabled by default,
but enabled in the default cofig, all existing setups won't have
behaviour changes when upgrading

--
Herwin Weststrate