Using NAS identifier instead of IP address

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 19 13:56:25 CEST 2017

On Jun 19, 2017, at 1:32 AM, Yusuf <yusuf at techluminati.com> wrote:

> The default method of freeradius identifying the source Access-Request packets requests is using IP addresses. But as many of you know, A lot of people don't have IP static addresses.
>
> IMHO, A workaround this problem could be to modify freeradius source code to use the NAS identifier + radius secret to authenticate (instead of source ip address+ radius secret)

  The standard way to fix the problem is to use IPSec, or RADIUS over TLS.

> However, As per
>
> 1) https://www.dialogic.com/webhelp/BorderNet2020/1.1.0/WebHelp/radatt_nasidentifier.htm
> 2) https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-is-NAS-id-and-how-to-use-it/ta-p/239345

  Why are you looking at random third-party web sites?

  There are standards which explain RADIUS.  RFC 6614, for example, which is RADIUS over TLS. These standards explain not only *how* the standard works, but *why*.

> They say :
>
> Code: [Select]
> NAS-Identifier MUST NOT be used to select the shared secret used to authenticate the request. The source IP address of the Access-Request packet MUST be used to select the shared secret.
>
> Can anyone tell me why not? what are the security implications (if any).

  Are you willing to let anyone on the net send RADIUS packets to your RADIUS server?