understanding NAS and accounting packets

Saurabh Shandilya saurabhshandilya.1991 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 22:36:29 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I am using freeradius server on my AWS.
Freeradius version :  2.2.8 on 64bit system installed it via package
manager.

I have tried to go through a few times over the online present materials
for freeradius but still I am not able to wrap my head around NAS.

Here is my picture & current understanding:

*Wireless AP* : D link 850l ; WPA-enterprise is only on 5 GHz band.  The
router firmware gives me this flexibility to put different security
provisions on 2.4 and 5.0 GHz spectrum.

AWS instance : *freeradius* server running.
radtest output is correct as I can see by username and password being
authenticated by access-accept response.

1. One of my node i.e laptop/mobile phone tries to connect to my wireless
access point at 5.0 GHz.
2. I recieve packets at my freeradius server as I see it by running with -X
swtich.
3. Successfull authentication is done and my device is connected.

The problem arises for me when there occurs no accounting packets, the
radacct table is empty all along.  As what I think I understand by reading
materails over internet, it seems like NAS sends this which I probably was
considering my router to be.

Is my d-link 850l is NAS?
or I am getting it all wrong?

There are no accounting packets, I checked it with radsniff.

I am attaching a very big output response from my free-radius output.
Initial few attempts are done while I tried connecting from my android
phone to wireless AP with wrong credentials.  Line number 1890 is when I
sent request with correct credentials.

Also, attaching my default file under sites-enabled/.

I understand that I am here asking two things but I guess thats how I come
to know about the problem.

Let me know if any other outputs or logs are required.
--
Regards,
saurabh shandilya