maintenance of radacct table

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Mar 5 20:44:44 CET 2017

On Mar 5, 2017, at 2:22 PM, bbnlradius <bbnlradius at bbnl.co.in> wrote:
> Thank you very much for helping.
> I wanted to keep around 2 to 3 months data, hence the daily partition to drop the old data.
> But we are not sure how the app is working here. what table does it refer.

  All of the FreeRADIUS configuration is available in text files in the /etc/raddb directory.  The Wiki contains more documentation.  It's all public.

> We are an isp here in Bangalore,India, have around 70k users with around 30k concurrent users logging in to the db.
> We are using DMA Softlab software which takes care of the billing.
> Since I am new to the radius and its app culture, I am not sure how it works, if I make any changes to the db, scared that it would mess up the app side and the customers billing scenario.

  I suggested you add a table.  That won't break the RADIUS server.  Changing the RADIUS configuration may be an issue, but that's what test systems are for.  Do the changes in a test system to see if they work.

  And nothing beats *understanding* how the system works.  That takes time.  There's no short-cut here.

> I see that the softlab software has a maintenance script which talks about creating temp tables called radacct1,rm_radacct1, they are summarising data,populating it and then updating the data in rm_users table.
> But in this script the rm_radacct table does not even have any data to populate, I am worried to run the script on prod.

  If you don't know what the script does, you shouldn't run it.

> If by any chance any one of you have worked in this similar env, please do help me out as to how to get this resolved.

  I gave specific technical suggestions for how to fix it.  The main one being you have to understand the system you're running, and what changes you're making.  We can't do that for you.