default authentication via windows active directory LDAP instead of /users

Stefan Paetow Stefan.Paetow at jisc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 17:49:47 CET 2017

> http://confluence.diamond.ac.uk/display/PAAUTH/Using+LDAP+as+authentication+source
> <http://confluence.diamond.ac.uk/display/PAAUTH/Using+LDAP+as+authentication+source>
> wiki links to this article) states that eap.conf (/freeradius/eap.conf in
> my case) that nothing has to be changed in eap.conf if you use Microsoft

And you shouldn't have to either. When you read such pages, consider that those pages were written for *that specific company*, *NOT* as a general reference for others. The page in question specifically says that it is for the 'bind-as-user' case in FreeRADIUS 3.0 (in which the LDAP module connects as the given user with the given password and considers that a successful authentication), but that this is limited to using EAP-TTLS with PAP.

If you are not using FreeRADIUS 3.0, then chances are that you would get the failures you described.

The page also comes with a big fat warning that says that changes in the LDAP module may render the advice inaccurate.

I should know... I wrote that page in 2014 when I had to consider using bind-as-user as a method of authentication.

Stefan Paetow
Moonshot Industry & Research Liaison Coordinator

t: +44 (0)1235 822 125
gpg: 0x3FCE5142
xmpp: stefanp at jabber.dev.ja.net
skype: stefan.paetow.janet