freeradius3: multiple rlm_perl and thread pool

Eugene Grosbein fr at grosbein.net
Wed May 3 08:57:39 CEST 2017

Hi!

Is it supported for freeradius3 to use two distinct rlm_perl modules inside
single radiusd process but for different virtual servers?

My perl installation is built with both of useithreads=define, usemultiplicity=define.
In fact, I already run freeradius3/dhcp module with single server and rlm_perl and it works just fine:

thread pool {
  start_servers = 1000
  max_servers = 1000
  min_spare_servers = 1000
  max_spare_servers = 1000
}

Each thread keeps its own persistent connection to powerful external MS SQL server
and this 64bit FreeRADIUS has enough memory to run memory-hog embedded threaded Perl
to be able to process hundreds of parallel DHCP requests without queueing delay.

I need to add new virtual server to process plain RADIUS accounting requests
(not DHCP requests) using another perl script and another rlm_perl instance.

The question is: is it possible to define another thread pool for new virtual server
with distinct *_servers parameters? If no, will new virtual server get a copy
of its own thread pool with same parameters or FreeRADIUS uses same pool for all
its virtual servers?

Eugene Grosbein