Freeraius vs NPS

Martin, Jeremy jmartin at emcc.edu
Fri May 5 17:15:02 CEST 2017

Ok I have figured out what is going on here:

With NPS when a user account is disabled or the account is set to be rejectged what happens is this:
	Radius: Access-Request from switch comes in
	Radius: Access-Reject from radius server

    The result here is that the phone prompts for credentials

Freeradius configured as > user name      Auth-Type:=Reject   for disabled account
	Access-Request from switch comes in
	Access-Challenge from server
	Access-Request from switch
	Access-Reject from server

So what happens is when a reject is returned without a challenge the end device knows that it needs to prompt for credentials but when the server issues the challenge and then the rejection happens the device does not prompt.

So the question now is how can I can configure freeradius to issue a access-reject message without a challenge for disabled users so I can set the initial password in the end device, again with Avaya IP 9608 Phones this is the only way to be prompted for 802.1x credentials?

Jeremy